Tuesday, August 3, 2010

reply to imag @ Boing Boing - Why do you even post this?

So I tried to get noticed on Boing Boing and got this comment:


1 Comment • Add a comment

imag • #1 • 11:59 PM Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 • Reply Why do you even post this? You just want people to visit your blog? You don't even have a post about the middle class in the first page.

So I had to reply but BoingBoing displayed some kind of error message when I tried to post it there, so I have to vent here to get it off my chest:

  
@imag - Thanks for your comment! Why do I even post this? Because Boing Boing is reputed to have a somewhat intelligent readership with a certain creative slant. I was hoping for insightful comments and evaluation. I thought this was the point to The Submitterator but maybe I missed an inside hipster joke somewhere along the line. Am I that ugly date that snarky frat boys take to the Pig Party? I dunno. In addition, I feel that a way of life is disappearing. I feel like I'm (we're) sinking, and I don't want to sink without a ripple. I don't want to become invisible. You know, one of those "poor" people who have nothing to contribute, so, since we can't just make them into Soylent Green, we grudgingly pay taxes to provide welfare or make ourselves feel like good people and donate to a charity to provide for them (us). I want to feel that I matter.

Do I just want people to visit my blog? That would be a nice start. Reading, viewing, commenting, advising, networking, uprising would be better.

I don't have a post about the middle class in the first page? I find that comment fascinating. Maybe I'm like a fish blogging about his fishy way of life, not bothering to mention that all us fish swim in water until he is gasping on the dry banks. Maybe I'm like one of those RenFest "Knights of Ye Rounde Table" that I used to go see when I had money, dressed up in a tin can and poking broomsticks at each other, pretending to be something that maybe never even really existed. I try to avoid loading up on jargon from a sociology text or using "talking points" language from political parties or talk radio or punditry, but if you want to map my reality to those frameworks then that's cool. Maybe the label "Middle Class" has been so kicked around that we aren't seeing the same thing, our society so fragmented in terms of geography, age, occupation, education etc. that it takes on a different meaning depending on what the user wants it to mean, like gay used to mean happy, catholic used to mean well-rounded, liberal used to mean free. Maybe there really was a Middle Class and it began to die just as I was starting to arrive late to the party.  What do you think?

Once again, imag, thanks for your comments!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your blog, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like your blog, keep it up, ignore the meanies. Reminds me of childhood and growing up in Ohio and visiting the Alleghenies. Nice photographs.
    --Kate visiting from F.G. blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anon & Kate - Welcome to the blog, and thanks for your encouragement. I WILL keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Anonymous is OK but I'd appreciate a clue.