Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Even A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day

Well, what do you know, First Financial Bank finally got it right.  Or at least, so it seems for now.  I had to call their toll-free customer service line, where I spoke with the delightful Debbie Raynor.  I started the conversation by saying "I believe that you are the one who has the skill and the authority to correct the mistakes that all the others have made previously."  I like to express my frustration with a positive twist!  I told her the story of trying to close Derek's accounts, the fraudulent charges, the overdraft fees, the non-response of local managers who I had emailed.  She listened carefully, viewed the transaction trail, and understood completely.  I told her "If you can make all the fees disappear and close the account then Marcy and I would remain customers with our checking account."  "Bless you," she replied.  She had to put me on hold to OK the fee waiver with her manager but came back in a minute with the good word.  She asked if she could call me shortly when it was all wrapped up but I said I really would like a letter to verify it.  She agreed.  I checked the account online the next day and it said "closed" with a zero balance, as it should.  A few days later, the letter was delivered just as I requested.  Debbie Raynor of First Financial Bank, kudos to you for your good customer service!

Today we received a form letter from First Financial Bank's local manager, the one I went to high school with, one of the two I emailed about the problem.  The letter was to announce the closing of her branch, the one up by the old Walmart on the north part of Colerain.  Corporations are so stupid - merge to grow, disrupt service, disrupt employees' lives, realize the have too many branches and redundant employees, close branches and screw up employees's live by eliminating jobs.

Join a local credit union.  That way you are a member, not a pesky customer, and you get to vote on management.

4 comments:

  1. I used to belong to the credit union in Hamilton. I think it is now called Aurgroup. They were wonderful. They were there whenever i needed them. They made all the decisions right there in the credit union. Love you guys.Glad Derek got his account straight. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This world sure could use a lot more Debbie Raynors! Sounds like another loose end tied up in perfect timing for the New Year Barry! xo ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry..Kenny here. I'll try to make my way out here and give you some more reads. Glad to hear they straightened that out...or are at least trying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently opened a Totally Free Checking account at PNC for a small LLC Business that I run. Six month in I received my statement with a $14 fee for not maintaining a $5,000 balance. My account with PNC was closed that very day.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Anonymous is OK but I'd appreciate a clue.