Saturday, January 30, 2010

Back In The Saddle Again


I took these pics of another wild edible plant from the backyard. This is the ground cherry, sometimes called husk tomato. It's a relative of the tomato, which you can kinda tell by the leaf shape. It has a yellowish bell-shaped blossom in summer which develops into this papery-husked fruit. Around October, usually after first frost, you can open it and find a yellow-orange marble sized fruit with tiny seeds inside. Since they volunteer to grow by the patio I munch on a few as I work the grill those last few times of the season.
I'm feeling a bit sentimental tonight. My parents got us a Canon AE-1 35-mm camera as a pre-wedding present over 25 years ago and Marcy & I have been going through all of the photos that I've taken over the years, trying to get them all labelled and sorted in order, and put into boxes or an album as we see fit. Oh, the kids in their innocence, the friends that have drifted apart, the effects of time & gravity & care upon the faces & bodies of ourselves and our loved ones. It's a great camera. I carried it over thousands of miles, fell in a cold Tennessee river with it once, captured many a fun time and major life milestone with it. Spent a ton of money on film & processing. For that reason alone I'm thinking of selling it. I have no idea what to ask for it, if there's any market, but it has has some real nice lenses to go with if you're interested. I take all my pics digital now, but I still listen to my music mostly old-school analog, vinyl on the turntable. Tonight I dipped into Marcy's Dad's collection and am listening to Gene Autry's Golden Hits as I post this.
I'm just not that turned on by much new stuff anymore unless I know the composer personally. But I'd rather hear deep cuts or fresh mediocrity than grow tired of something I once liked. Beware "classic" rock radio for that reason. Fox 92.5 made the mistake of playing Yes' "I've Seen All Good People" twice as I was out driving yesterday so I had to change to WNKU 89.7, much to my son's dismay. Derek doesn't like much new music either, but he is much less patient of mediocrity than I am now. He is a sharp crystal, I'm worn driftwood.

1 comment:

  1. I do love a good macro shot...these are nice. I adore worn driftwood for the very fact that it bears the unmistaken marks of weathering both time and tides.

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Anonymous is OK but I'd appreciate a clue.