Monday, November 22, 2010

Corroded Trust


Five years ago, a couple paid cash for a home in Florida, then this year Bank Of America seized the house, removed their belongings, and changed the locks.  Jackasses had the wrong address on some foreclosure documents and couldn't be convinced otherwise.  Lawsuit time!  Do you think that's bad?  Just getting warmed up - Bloomberg reports that BoA laundered money for Mexican drug gangs.  I haven't heard of anybody going to jail over that, have you?  Charles Hugh Smith states on his excellent Of Two Minds blog, "The bitter truth is that the nation's Financial Power Elites are not constrained by rule of law, and as a result of this revelation Americans' trust in their government and political class has been shattered."


I've been trying to write a song - I can imagine David Coverdale of Deep Purple & White Snake wailing it - that starts "My cholesterol is higher than my credit score."  But I recently found out that can't be true, because my total cholesterol is only 205 (just a tad high), while credit scores for some reason start at a low of 300.  You can check your credit score for free.  It's the one our official bankruptcy counselor referred us to, so it's as legit as it can be.  But I'm turned off now by the whole concept of credit score.  Didn't credit in excess put us all in this whole big economic mess we're in?  Why would I want to go into debt again?  I have begun to think of it more as a cancer score.  Who wants a high cancer score?  John Matarese of WCPO-TV has some suggestions for improving your credit score and  I really question the wisdom of it all.  No, that's too polite - it's stupid and I say screw it!  And if an employer wants to check my credit score as a condition of employment, then I don't want to work for them.  In fact, I would like to see such employers be put out of business.  Ditto for employers who say "Unemployed need not apply."  Companies that do that should be named and shamed and we can make the choice to punish them with our spending choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm happy to hear from you. Anonymous is OK but I'd appreciate a clue.