Monday, February 22, 2010

Flowers On The Wall

"Counting flowers on the wall
That don't bother me at all
Playing solitaire til dawn
With a deck of fifty one"

Yup, I got Statler Bros. on the turntable. Sentimental, missing Dad. way down in Tennessee now. Mom too, of course, but Statler Brothers are so Glen Price: Class of '57, I'll Go To My Grave Loving You. So nostalgic, sweet, and unpretentious. Steadfast and true, genuine. Like Vonnegut said, America's Poets.

I imagine Mom & Dad are missing everybody up here too, so I'd better give some personal updates.  We decided to switch Derek back to ECOT online school.  Physically attending that LifeSkills Center just doesn't work for us.  By the way, the idea of a student mastering a subject and moving on and not just serving time is catching on.  School should be the opposite of jail!  Derek has also been keeping an eye on Craigslist for odd jobs, mostly light moving.  Of course he does his daily regimen on guitar, also practicing with frequently with Sucker Punch Sally for their upcoming first show.

Dylan is in the band too.  He made a show flyer tonight.  Dylan is a good "schmoozer" who gets the band gigs.  His gal Sarina got the first ultrasound pics of her pregnancy last week and the doc says it looks like a girl and all is going well.  Dylan was thinking of the name "Logan" but after looking at a baby-name book we gave them, he kinda likes "Athena."  I think that's awesome, Greek goddess of wisdom & craft, rhymes with Sarina., what's not to like?  Dylan has noticed he gets a bit winded while playing music and climbing steps and such so he claims he's gonna quit the cigs and eat right and exercize.  Time will tell.  I'll enable that any way I can.

Marcy is doing OK, reconnecting with an old friend she found on Facebook.  Their families actually swapped houses one time.  Speaking of Facebook, she has gotten kinda hooked on Farkle & Scrabble and has a few challenges going on with several family members.  Now that she has straightened and weeded out bedroom, clothes, and pictures she's been updating her phone & address list.  We're still waiting on Medicaid approval but I believe the way is now clear to getting SSI.  Job & Family Services has called us in for a review of food stamps and we'll ask about other stuff too.

Me, I'm good as always.  I received approval for Tier 4 of unemployment compensation and should have about 11 weeks left, unless Congress gets their butts in gear and votes another extension.  Don't they see the torchlight glinting off newly sharpened pitchforks?    I've been getting to know my Hornsby cousins a little better thru email.  I've been posting things on Craigslist but I get more scams and spam than real offers and I have little patience for such foolishness.  We bought some Mane & Tail shampoo for our dog Wolfie but I had to try it. As a result I have big Barry "BeeGee" Gibb hair & beard. I think I like it!  I'm enjoying hanging out with Marcy, playing a lot of rummy together (with a deck of 52), cooking, writing songs and writing this blog.  Thanks for stopping in to read it.  Please spread the word and stop back often.

3 comments:

  1. Barry, We gots to get you some more followers, I know there are many who are reading though! Folks show some LOVE and follow this dude!!! You can even be anonymous you know. And while you're out there, click on some ads too...the sponsors love it and will even pay for that too! As usual, great post by the way. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barry, I love your new blog. Yes, we are missing all the family. Did you see the pics I posted on facebook Tues? Glad to hear you all are well.
    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just catching up on some of your daily blogging! Great to hear Dylan is thinking of quitting that awful smoking habit! He has my support on that for sure! Babies name sounds cute. What are yours and Marcy's thoughts about being grandparents? Tell me how to post your blog on my Facebook page and I will do so! You've got some good reading!
    Beck

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Anonymous is OK but I'd appreciate a clue.