Sunday, March 21, 2010

Union Terminal

Cincinnati's Union Terminal is such a beautiful place.


Sometimes it makes me think of a Crosley radio.  Where are the dials & knobs?

Mercury, Merchandise, Commerce.  It's the same root word in all of those.

Imagine - this was begun in 1929 and finished in 1933.  The Depression  made for less traffic than what it was designed for, but there were still alot of people coming and going.  Imagine the goodbyes.  Some people leaving, looking for a better life in another town.  Some headed for the Civilian Conservation Corp, some to college, some off to the military.

I saw a friend off on his Amtrak trip back to Milwaukee a few years back.  He had to catch his train at 3 a.m.  The Terminal was dark and empty, and we had to get buzzed in to a special door to get to the train depot.  The waiting area had wooden benches sort of like pews.  It had a real creepy lonely feeling, so I hung out with him until his train came.

About the time I was in elementary school, Union Terminal was home to a science museum.  When my class visited on a field trip I saw my first laser.  It was so remarkable that it felt like science fiction.  Now lasers are toys,

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sure looked like a pretty day there in that first picture. I remember the science museum there too, my dad used to take me there. I love all the colors on the inside ceiling. I also remember going to a nightclub there in the 80s and then the Omnimax most recently before we moved. As well as one of our P&G team meetings...remember that? There is something about in there that is a bit unsettling though that I have noticed inside. Oh and I had to laugh...it DOES look like a Crosley radio Barry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favorite Cincinnati buildings.
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Anonymous is OK but I'd appreciate a clue.