Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Enemy of My Enemy

Click picture for enlarged view

When I was a kid we called these "garden spiders" and they would be found amongst the corn rows at about the height of my face.  We were careful to leave them in place to catch and eat bugs.  Big spiders like this are part of a healthy garden.  They are common throughout America.  Zoom in on this one's mouth area and you can see the palps & mouth and several eyes.

Click picture for enlarged view

This handsome snake is a species alien to America.  But I bet it devours many a mouse or rat.  Take a close look at its eye and you can see a reflection of me taking the picture, and behind my back is that Vietnamese Catholic Church on the corner of Vine & Township in Elmwood Place.  I can make out the steeple in the snake's eye.

1 comment:

  1. No! No! No! You can't make me like them, even though your images show off their finer points. But I do begrudingly realize they are necessary and they are safe around me, although I may not be from them. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Anonymous is OK but I'd appreciate a clue.