Thursday, July 29, 2010

No More Tiers


So this is our grand-daughter, Logan.  It's our first time watching her for more than a few minutes for a run to the store.  She's a good baby, so I taught her to stick out her tongue.  She's not quite 4 weeks old.


Mommy's out doing foxy boxing tonight and it looks like Logan is, too.  Dynamite comes in small packages!



That's my size 10+ foot next to the biggest mushrooms I have ever seen.  Wish I was better educated in whether they are edible.  Too risky.



I spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday with different branches of Ohio Job & Family Services.  The first call I made was to unemployment.  Actually I had tried them on Monday and their outgoing message said that people with names that start with "P" should only call on Wednesday,  so being obedient and orderly and a former call-center drone, I called on Wednesday.  Sometimes the outgoing message says that call volume is too high, please call back at another time, this call is now ended, but I managed to get through.  The menu choices didn't fit what I wanted so I punched # and 0 until I got that sickeningly peppy light jazz hold music and I waited a very long time.


Finally a human answered the phone and I was able to ask my question.  I said that I had not received a benefit payment for several weeks and could not even file a weekly claim online so I assumed that I was one of that new class of people in today's economy called a 99er.  I had even logged in to the unemployment website and counted payments and it looked like I had used up my legally allotted 99 benefit weeks.  The reason for my call was that I had just received a direct-deposit payment after that gap of several weeks, and I wanted to make sure it was legitimate before I spent it, because I would not be able to repay it if it was a mistake.  The call center agent told me that it was indeed legit, that it was my 99th payment which just happened to get held up by that tug-of-war that had been going on in Congress.  So unless Congress passes a Tier V, it's the end of the line for my unemployment benefits.  I'm still applying for jobs though, so any phony statistic from the government or media that says that I have given up is just baloney.  There is a growing number of people like me who can now be left out of the official unemployment numbers and ignored, like a shadow army growing increasingly frustrated and desperate.


That bottle in the picture is a little experiment we're trying for the first time.  It's homemade blackberry wine!  And it turns out that blackberry wine is kind of a family tradition from back before my Mom was born, and it created repercussions with the Patriot Act, but that's a story for another post.

5 comments:

  1. Logan is SOOO cute! I can't wait to see her in person!!
    -Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have so many interesting thoughts in your post to comment on, so I will just pick the obvious one tonight. How'd you make your blackberry wine? And just one more so you'll not think I'm a lush. That Logan, she's so cute, how'd you get her to stick out her tongue like that? xo ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lili - Our wine-making was rather an inexact science. We took a couple of pints of ripe berries, 3-4 tablespoons of fresh yeast (intended for use in the bread machine) and about a cup of sugar and mushed it up in the blender. We poured it directly into the bottle shown and put a balloon over the top so it was sealed from bugs but expandable. We set it in a shady spot in the garden and let it work. That same day it made so much foamy stuff that it blew off the balloon and splattered all over. We put a bigger balloon on and put a thick rubber band around to help hold it on and put it back outside. After a couple of days the balloon stayed a steady size so we brought it in and took off the balloon and just used the flip-top stopper built into the bottle, just press up on the edge enough to let the gas hiss out every few hours. After about a week it quit making gas - that means the yeast is done. I ran it through coffee filters twice but it was super slow, so you might do a sieve first to catch the seeds and larger sludge (which is delicious in itself!) and then if you want to clarify it further try a coffee filter. It has a nice flavor and you can tell it has alcohol. I wish I could measure how much. Hmm, I think I'll pour myself a little nightcap right now....

    As for teaching Logan to stick out her tongue, it was strictly a monkey-see monkey-do procedure, with yours truly as lead monkey. I'll try to get a good pic of us tongue-waggling together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed you back from your BoingBoing comment; catchy title for your blog. It sounds like you are in a difficult time by the things you say, but it also sounds like you have more than enough courage and attitude to get through, by the way you say it.
    Good luck.
    CG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey cuz, The place you & Marcie stayed on your honeymoon is now a shell. But we are still surviving in Arizona. hubsdesk@live.com Sean

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Anonymous is OK but I'd appreciate a clue.