Friday, July 23, 2010

Witch's Salad

Eating wild foods is not for the ignorant.  You've seen my posts here about some delicious greens and fruits that I've enjoyed for free.  You gotta remember I've been studying this stuff on and off for about 35 years.  Here are some pics of stuff from the yard that might look tempting but which I WILL NOT EAT, at least not without further education.  And I wrote some song lyrics about it, too.  Let's call it "Witch's  Salad" for now.  Copyright 2010.


Times are so hard
Our gardener, se llama Brujo, rode the Big Gray Dog back to Mexico
Out in the yard
Once manicured and green, a strange new garden of Eden grows
No gas to get to the grocery store
And if it’s still there I’m not even sure
And I’ve never been so hungry before
My belly growls like a hateful hound
So I stuff it with a witch’s salad
Any weeds that spring from the broken ground


Mushrooms and nightshade and belladonna
Blind as a bat and the brain turns to bone
Thorn apple, moonflower, mad as a hatter
Hotter than hell and the heart runs alone




Mescalito with a red umbrella
Eyes shine with black and my tongue is like stone
My third eye sees better than ever
Hotter than hell and the heart runs alone

 


I see the flaming sword
Of the cherubim
At the eastern gate
Never let me in
My tortured mind sees eternal flame
It’s just the landfill burning off the methane
I see the tentacles
Of the mighty one
In a filthy pool
Gonna drag me in
My tortured mind sees Cthulhu squirm
It’s a reflection blowing in a windstorm




I see the gaping void
Of the black abyss
Cold nothingness
Inside all of us
My tortured mind sees what it sees
And the abyss is looking back at me
It’s looking back at me, it’s staring at me
It’s me!

2 comments:

  1. WOW Barry, those 'shrooms really bring out your creativity! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. Great pics. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Anonymous is OK but I'd appreciate a clue.