Monday, October 4, 2010

Fantasy at Pier 27

So it was Homecoming Weekend for Ross Senior High School, time to get back together with the guys and dust off those old classic rock songs for a gig at Pier 27  (formerly The Farm).

We've all known each other since the mid-Seventies and played in various combinations together in various bands. We played under the name "Fantasy" for this job.  I never was acually a member of Fantasy back in the day, but it holds some dear memories for some of the guys and they hoped the name would be recognized, so I was cool with it.  Left to right that's Randy Campbell, Ron Gray, me, Paul Roberts, and Mike Sawyers.

We played outside on a cold and damp night, so I layered the turtleneck & silk shirt & leather vest and was comfortable.  The hair helps.  I got more hair in my ears than some of the guys have on their noggins.  The rest of the guys who actually play instruments had those little chemical-pack hand warmers to keep their hands ready for action.

You may notice I had a little podium thing off to the side for the song list and some of the lyrics.  They say the whatchamacallit is the first thing to go.  I guess we're all a bit long in the tooth.  Much of our conversation at band practice pertains to arthroscopic surgery and blood pressure medication and such.  Old Grandpa has still got it though!

Paul & Mike, guitar duel.  Foghat maybe?

Referee Randy is ready to blow the whistle on Ronnie for a tempo violation.

Mike broke a string about three songs into the performance.  Doh!  Had to grab his spare guitar.

It was a fun night but at one point as I was singing Grand Funk's "Closer To Home (I'm Your Captain)", I looked out into the crowd and witnessed a woman toppling backward into the firepit, her hands naturally plunging into the blazing hot bed of coals and her hair catching fire.  The people nearby yanked her out at once and she ran, probably to get some cold water on those hands, what was left of them.  Somebody close by said he saw the burned flesh dripping off her hands like a melted candle.  But of course, the band played on, and we soon heard the siren of an ambulance speeding to her aid.  I hope she will be OK.

Hey, somebody filled Paul's glass guitar slide with tequila - better empty it so you can play that solo you got coming up...

That's Pauls daughter Tara getting a pic of her daddy jammin.

Go boys go!  I'm behind the camera where I belong.

So I cut off Paul's head but he still rocks!

Lights are on but nobody home.

We shared the stage with some more Ross boys, Okeanas, known as southwest Ohio's premier roots-rock band.  Any band named after my blessed little hometown had better be good, and yes they were.


5 comments:

  1. Hey can I get your autograph??? You look good up on that stage Barry! If we still lived in Cincy you know we would have come out to see ya too. Glad to see Grandpa's still got it! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Barry...looks like fun on stage belting out all the old favs. My first husband and college sweetheart went to Ross HS. Maybe you knew him? Hal Cury - class of 1972?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry, It was GREAT to be able to see you and Marcy! I was genuinely stunned to have been found by you guys on FB. I really would have liked to mstay and watch the show, but unfortunately I live a ways away in western In and had to get home to my own spouse. I do hope to be able to talk to you and Marcy again very soon, as I miss the conversations we used to have! You two take care!
    Juano

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lili - Book us a show in Bar Harbor, we're way overdue to visit Down East.

    @Tommy - that comment coming from you carries a lot of weight - right back atcha!

    @Susan Marie - Nope, I didn't know Hal, us guys were mostly class of '77. I'll bet some of our older sibs knew him. Our classes were mostly around 175 people, so if you didn't know all your classmates at least superficially you must have been trying not to.

    @Juan - It was a kick seeing you as well! Keep in touch personally and stay tuned to the music because the best is yet to come!

    ReplyDelete

I'm happy to hear from you. Anonymous is OK but I'd appreciate a clue.